Monday, May 23, 2016

Book update *There are 4 this time...


I have not forgotten to update on the books I've been reading! I've simply gotten behind on my updates. I've also not been doing much reading because I've been too darn tired and busy with other things. I spent this morning getting super jazzed about the approach of summer and requesting lots of interesting books from the library. The dream of summer living is upon us. Okay so to recap what I read this spring:

1) The Circle by Dave Eggers
I have been a huge fan of Dave Eggers to this point. Say what you want about that statement because a lot of folks I talk to have had it with Eggers from the beginning. I, however, loved A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius and was really excited about The Circle. This book was not as well written. The concept was incredible and I've thought about the themes repeatedly since finishing this book but I did not enjoy the actual reading of this story. Alright so it's about a women who starts working for a tech company whose tech applications literally take over people's real life. Very salient since I have been (and continue) to be skeptical about social media. I think I began to get overly stressed out for the lead character who was constantly expected to update her social media about every move she made so maybe it was good writing? I don't know. Maybe not a good book for anxious readers. Overall I hope somebody will read this book and talk to me about it soon.

2) A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
Super fun and easy read for people who like Harry Potterish magic stories. Bonus that this book was sort of British. Plain old fun reading.

3) The Secret History by Donna Tartt
Like it or hate it The Goldfinch was a great read and I was super excited for The Secret History. This book was VERY different and I absolutely loved it. The characters were weird and awful and lovely and felt very much like people I would have spent time with in college (aside from the murdery part). This plot was so different from anything I'd ever read and the characters drank a lot so I could relate. Very good read.

 4) Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
Weird book. I stuck it all the way out because it implied that a mystery would unfold. It didn't. The writing was great, though. It was sort of the opposite of The Circle in that I loved reading it but didn't care for the concept. I'm pretty sick of variations on a utopian society gone awry. If you are still into that theme then maybe read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment